Harvest Vegetable Soup
Prep time: 25 min.
Cook time: 50 min.
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook and stir the carrots, celery and onions in butter and oil until tender.
- 3 medium carrots, halved and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Add the broth, potatoes, squash, apples, turnips, parsnips and bay leaf.
- 7 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 2 large tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium turnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 1 Bay Leaf*
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the basil, thyme and pepper;
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Simmer 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Discard bay leaf before serving*.
- Yield is 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts 1 cup equals 134 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 404 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 4 g protein.